The origin of the name Nebelung is German and it means “the creature of the mist”, which refers to the shimmering silvery-blue coat of the cat that appears to float his body.
See all the characteristics of the Nebelung Cat, below!
1- History of Nebelung Cat:
As stated in the title of the article, the Nebelung is the longhaired variety of the Russian Blue Cat.
Cora Cobb of the Nebelheim Cattery is the one who developed this breed. Cobb was inspired by a kitten called Siegfried, which is the only longhaired blue kitten in a litter fathered by a longhaired black cat and born to a black domestic shorthair named Elsa.
Another litter produced a female kitten named Brunhilde and it was also a longhaired blue kitten. So, These two kittens, Siegfried and Brunhilde became after a while the foundation of this new breeding program. The first litter of this new type of breeds was produced in 1986.
In the late 1980s, Russian Blues carrying the long hair gene were introduced from Eastern Europe and contributed to the breed’s development.
In 1987, the International Cat Association granted the cats the status of New Breed and full recognition in 1997. Nebelungs can be outcrossed to Russian Blues. Moreover, Nebelung was recognized by the Cat Fanciers Federation and the Traditional Cat Association.
The Nebelung cat has a reputation for being a gentle, quiet pet, and a little shy, but don’t get the wrong idea. This cat may have a reserved personality, but he loves to play and enjoys jumping or climbing to high places where he can observe people and situations before deciding whether he wants to get involved.
Guests are not going to receive his immediate attention and may never see him until he feels that they are worthy of his consideration, but he is always loyal to family members, particularly his favorite person, following them through the house and even riding on a shoulder.
The Long Haired Blue Russian Cat is a sensitive cat that doesn’t like being neglected and gets hurt if he doesn’t get the same amount of affection he gives. So, be careful Lack of attention may make him anxious or fearful.
Although the Nebelung cat loves your company, he’s able to entertain himself during the day while you are at work. Unlike other active and intelligent breeds, the long-haired Blue Russian cat is not destructive.
His manual dexterity and sense of humor will not fail to entertain you when you’re at home. But, make sure that you’re laughing with him, and not at him because this cat breed has a strong sense of self-worth.
This cat likes a quiet and stable environment and he doesn’t like change. So, it is very important for him that meals arrive on time. You can also rely on him to be a faithful alarm clock in the morning, not so you don’t miss work but so he doesn’t miss a meal.
When you take the time to build a relationship with a Nebelung cat, the reward will be a very deep bond with this lovely cat.
All pedigreed cats and mixed-breed cats have varying incidences of health problems which may be genetic. But, the Nebelung is generally healthy.
However, the only problem that an owner can face is its hearty appetite, which can turn him from sleek to stout in no time.
- The Nebelung cat has a long, dense coat that should be combed twice a week, to remove dead hair and spread skin oils.
- Brush the teeth of the Nebelung cat to prevent periodontal disease. Daily dental hygiene is better, but if it’s not possible, a weekly brushing can be good.
- Make sure to trim the nails every couple of weeks.
- Clean the eye corners with a soft, damp cloth to remove any discharge. Make sure to use a separate area of the cloth for each eye to avoid the risk of infection.
- Remember to check the Nebelung cat ears weekly. So, if you found them dirty, just wipe them out with a soft damp cloth moistened with warm water and a 50-50 mixture of cider vinegar.
- Keeping the litter box clean is very important to keep his coat clean as well.
- It’s also a great idea to keep the long-haired blue Russian cat as an indoor-only cat. This can protect him from diseases spread by other pets. The Nebelung is one of the most cats that are vulnerable to the risk of being stolen by people who would like to have such a beautiful and cute cat without paying for it.
5- Children And Other Pets:
- Nebelung Cats are known for having a tolerant nature toward kids who treat them with kindness and respect, but they can be wary of younger kids who pet them clumsily. So, don’t forget to supervise very young kids when they want to pet the Nebelung cat.
- The long-haired blue Russian cats are known to be accepting other animals, including dogs. Just make sure that you introduce pets slowly and under controlled circumstances to ensure that they will learn to get along together.
You may also like: